3 January 2012: Tribunal 1 Daily Summary – Rejects Application for Retrial in Sayedee, Golam Azam and Nizami Cases

The Tribunal Issued Its Order on the Application for Retrial in the Sayedee, Golam Azam and Nizami Cases:

The Tribunal read out its order rejecting the retrial application of Golam Azam and said the same order would apply for the retrial applications of Motiur Rahman Nizami and Delwar Hossain Sayedee since the facts and legal points were same. The Tribunal stipulated separately for Sayedee’s case that it would rehear the closing arguments from both the Prosecution and Defense as Tribunal-1 had been reconstituted after former Chairman Justice Nizamul Huq’s resignation and therefore the current Chairman had not heard closing arguments. The Tribunal fixed 13-14 January for the Prosecution to present its arguments and 15-17 January for the Defense.

For a more detailed examination of the order and a copy of the order itself, please see here.

Case: Chief Prosecutor vs Salauddin Quader Chowdhury
On 1 January 2013, Fakhrul Islam filed three applications on behalf of Chowdhury, including one asking the Tribunal for an order clarifying that its judges were not party to any of the skype or email conversations that took place between the former Chairman Nizamul Hoque and Dr. Ziauddin. Other applications included initiating contempt proceedings against the Law Minister for influencing the proceedings and summoning the former Chairman of the Tribunal 1 to testify. To avoid contempt proceedings Ahsanul Huq, Defence counsel of Salauddin Quader Chowdhury prayed to consider them as ‘not pressed’ and offered unconditional apology.

The Tribunal said it needed further time to consider the application regarding the question of their involvement in the skype conversations and fixed January 10 for issuing an order. The Tribunal allowed the prayer of ‘not pressed’ on two other applications.

Observations Outside the Court
At the lunch break some High Court lawyers, supporters of Salauddin Quader Chowdhury, were seen in front of the Tribunal. They were attempting to obtain a pass for entry into the Tribunal. The Tribunal authority refused to give them pass, which made them angry. They were shouting some slogans and engaged in an altercation with the registrar. After a short time they departed.

One thought on “3 January 2012: Tribunal 1 Daily Summary – Rejects Application for Retrial in Sayedee, Golam Azam and Nizami Cases

  1. Pingback: 28 Feb 2013: Sayedee Convicted of 8 out of 20 Charges, Sentenced to Death | The Trial Observer

Comments are closed.