16 July 2013: ICT-1 Daily Summary – Chowdhury DW 3

Today the Tribunal heard matters in the following cases: 

Chief Prosecutor vs. Salauddin Qader Chowdhury
In the Chowdhury case, the Tribunal heard the examination-in-Chief of Qayyum Reza Chowdhury, Defense Witness 3. Thereafter, Tribunal adjourned the proceedings of the case until tomorrow, 17 July 2013. 

Qayyum Reza Chowdhury testified that he is a businessman and that Salauddin Qader Chowdhury is his cousin. He stated that he took admission in Saheen School in 1964 and met Sheikh Kamal (son of Bangabondhu) and Nizam Ahmed (DW-2) while there. Qayyum testified that Bangabondhu used to drop Sheikh Kamal and Nizam Ahmed with his car, number 3131, at the school. The witness said that he took admission at Notre Dame College after passing his SSC in 1966 from Saheen School. He further testified that Salman F Rahman, Salauddin Qader Chowdhury and Nizam Ahmed also took admission at Notre Dame College and that they became closer while studying there. Qayyum testified that while Salauddin was a student of Notre Dame, he (Salauddin) resided in Eskaton. Qayyum testified that subsequently they all took admission at Dhaka University and participated in the movement to free Bangabondhu who was accused of involvement in the Agortola Conspiracy Case. Qayyum testified that when Salauddin Qader Chowdhury took admission at Dhaka University, he (Salauddin) began living in Dhanmondi. The witness testified that when Asad was shot he, Salman F Rahman and Salauddin Qader Chowdhury were present very nearby behind a tree. Nizam was t,wo feet away from Asad and Khairul Bashar was near a riot van. Qayyum testified that when Salauddin Qader Chowdhury was a student of Dhaka University and resided at Dhanmondi political leaders frequently went to his house. Qayyum testified that he (Qayyum) was good in English and for that reason was assigned by Bangabondhu to work with his press secretary, Badsha in handling foreign journalists, translation and typing related works. Qayyum testified that Salaudin Qader Chowdhury was present at Race-course field with him during the historic speech of Bangabondhu on 7 March, 1971.

Qayyum testified that on the 18th or 19th of March of 1971 at 4 pm Fazlul Qader Chowdhury (father of Salauddin Qader Chowdhury) met with Bangabondhu. He testified that he did not hear the subject matter of their discussion but heard that Fazlul Qader Chowdhury was telling Bangabondhu not to believe Pakistan. Qayyum testified that on 23 or 24 March of 1971, he could was unable to arrange a meeting between Bangabondhu and foreign journalists. He testified that the night of 25 March 1971 he along with Badsha, Nizam and Newaz went to the Hotel Intercontinental to distribute the press release among the foreign journalists. Qayyum testified that they were prevented from returning home that night because a Pakistani solider ordered them not to leave the hotel and held them at gunpoint. He testified that in the morning of 27 March he left the hotel for Rajsahi House at Mogbazar, Nizam and his brother Newaz left for their home and Badsha went into hiding. Qayyum testified that on 28 March Nizam and he went to the house of a Swedish family which was two roads away from the house of Salauddin Qader Chowdhury. Qayyum testified that on 28 March when he went outside with the car and picked up Sheikh Kamal near the bridge of road 8. They then returned together to the house of Swedish family. Qayyum testified that in the afternoon he went by foot to the house of Salauddin Qader Chowdhury on road 18. Qayyum testified that Salauddin asked him to take him to the airport the following day at airport. The witness testified that he drove Salauddin to the Tejgaon Airport at noon. He stated the car’s number was 4893 and was owned by his brother-in-law.

Qayyum testified that he, Sheikh Kamal, and Nizam Ahmed stayed with the Swedish family for 3 or 4 days. He testified that Sheikh Kamal tried to go to Tungi Para but failed and returned to the house of the Swedish family. He testified that soon after the Swedish family received an order from the Pakistani government to leave the country. He, Nizam and Kamal then moved to the house of his (Qayyum’s) sister, located at Dhanmondi 32. Qayyum testified that he knew Urdu which mean that he was able to move around town on the 4 or 5 of April 1971. He stated that Sheikh Kamal again started for Tungi Para, and requested Qayyum to take care of his family. Qayyum testified that he went to Malibag Chowdhuripara to meet with Kamal’s family and that he met Sheikh Jamal, Sheikh Rassel, Sheikh Rehana, Sheikh Hasina (present Prime Minister) and Dr Wazed Mia there. Qayyum testified that after his arrival at Malibag Chowdhuripara, Nizam and Sheikh Kamal arrived there because Sheikh Kamal had again failed to reach Tungi Para. Qayyum testified that with the help of three cars the family members of Bangabondhu shifted to the house of Mrs Badrunnesa.

Qayyum testified that on 8 April 1971 he, Salman F Rahman, and Nizam Ahmed went to Karachi where they stayed at the house of Salman F Rahman. Qayyum testified that after two days he went outside to rent a house for his family members. He stated that Salauddin Qader Chowdhury came to the house of Salman F Rahman to meet with them. He testified that in the first week of May, he and Nizam went to Islamabad with intention of going to Germany. He testified that the day after his arrival in Islamabad he was arrested from the house of his sister and taken to Karachi.