Today the Tribunal heard matters in the following cases:
- Chief Prosecutor vs. Syed Mohammad Qaisar
Today Tribunal 2 granted bail to Mr Syed Mohammad Qaisar. This is only the second time either of the two Tribunals have granted bail to a suspect. Defendant Abdul Alim is also free on bail. All other suspects have been denied bail.
On 22 July 2013 the Tribunal had heard Qaisar’s bail application and instructed the jail authorities to submit a report on the availability of adequate health care facilities for the 73 year old war crimes suspect. Today the Tribunal announced that having reviewed the report it had reached the conclusion that the health of the detained suspect is such that he should be enlarged on bail, subject to strict adherence on his part to conditions imposed by the Tribunal. The following conditions apply to his bail:
- The suspect shall not communicate with any political leaders
- He shall refrain from making any comments to the media
- There shall be no form of intimidation of the potential witnesses of war crimes
- The suspect shall stay in his Banani residence and shall not go anywhere without prior permission of the tribunal
- He must cooperate with the investigation agencies
- A bail bond of Taka 1 Lac ( Taka 100,000) shall be submitted immediately on his behalf
The Tribunal warned that bail would be revoked if there was any violation of any of the conditions.